Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sweet Memories of Freehiking in the Rain

“Some of my sweetest naked hiking memories from this past season involved hiking in the rain. The sights, sounds, and smells one encounters in the woods in the rain are intoxicating. . . you also don't see as many people on the trail. I have been entirely warm and comfortable hiking naked in the rain in temperatures ranging from the mid forties (F) on up. In cooler weather, it seems that the layer of sweat and rain forms an insulating layer that functions much like in a diving wetsuit. And your body is not fighting the wicking and evaporative cooling effect of wet textiles against your skin. Also gone is the frustration of trying to keep textiles dry with clumsy raingear. My tactic in cooler wet weather, when possible, is to hike naked, keeping my gear dry inside my pack, ready to put on when I stop moving for an extended time.” – FreewalkerMA

No comments:

Post a Comment