Friday, October 8, 2010

Freehiking Barefoot

“Hiking nude is freeing . . . natural . . . wonderful. Hiking nude without even your shoes is . . . sublime. I get few opportunities to do it barefoot in the Cascades . . . footwear almost always being a necessity to protect the feet. Hiking back to my car with my shoes slung over my shoulders, the feel of years of overburden giving just so under the soles of my feet can only be described as sensuous. Purists call it 'free-hiking' and it is definitely that. Having to put my shoes back on was almost as if I was putting clothes back on. Was I still nude?” – Rick

This spring, one participant ran the entire Bare Burro 5k at Olive Dell Ranch without shoes (or clothes of course). I've only freehiked barefoot once, in sand - it was nice, but quickly got too hot. Anyone else enjoy barefoot freehiking or running?

Ken

1 comment: