Tuesday, October 5, 2010

End of the Freehiking Season?

“No . . . , not the end of naked hiking season. Just the onset of a different naked hiking season. Though all day naked hikes in the snow are pretty much out of the question, short free hikes in the snow are quite possible and enjoyable. And when the sun, wind, and temperature co-operates, the possibilities for an hour or two of freedom are not to be passed up. . . Several years back, with the onset of cooler weather and shorter days, I resorted to living in a sort of denial of the passing of summer, and just kept hiking naked through the winter whenever I had a decent opportunity. Low and behold, my SAD abated for the first time in years. I have gleefully continued ever since. Don't buy into textile myths about the cold. Create your own.” - Dan

I remember one January a few years back when I freehiked 18 times. Does anyone else appreciate freehiking during the cooler seasons of the year?

Ken

2 comments:

  1. I have experimented with freehiking barefoot, as well as in the cool weather, at Cedar Trails here in Ohio, which has several miles of paths through the woods, and up to and around the horse meadow. One morning about two weeks ago I woke up and the temperature was about 50 degrees. I was restless, so I decided to set out on a hike, figuring that I could always turn around if I got too cold. Surprisingly I stayed quite warm, stayed out for about 45 minutes, and when I returned only my hands were a little chilly. I'm looking forward to going down to the campground when there's snow on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me of a freehike last winter. It was one of those rare days when it was sunny and no wind. I had a great freehike and was on my way back in to the parking area. I slipped on my shorts and t-shirt and a few minutes later I encountered a group of clothed hikers and they were all wearing gloves and fleece and jackets and hats. I was amazed at all the stuff they were wearing and they were heading out on an uphill hike!

    ReplyDelete